With South Australia’s electricity rates only going in one direction (we’ll give you two answers and here’s a further tip, it’s not down!), most homeowners in Adelaide are asking how they can save on energy bills. The good thing is that it’s not difficult or necessarily expensive to keep your electricity usage down, so here are our top eight tips.
8 tips to save on energy bills in Adelaide
- Our first tip is really the most important and that’s to get a better understanding of your electricity usage. This means taking a closer look at the appliances and systems you have that use electricity, and monitoring how you use the appliances and systems, when and how often you use them. This is likely to highlight inefficiencies and energy-saving opportunities. If you’re unsure how to do an audit of your electricity usage, get a professional to help you (see below).
- Once you have a better understanding of the electricity you use, it’s time to start making some gains and saving on energy bills in your Adelaide home. Start with the easy things, such as switching off lights, heaters, coolers and other electrical appliances that you don’t need to use. Remember, when possible, to turn appliances off at the powerpoint. You’ll be amazed at how much you can save by simply doing this.
- Another simple way to save on energy bills in Adelaide is to heat and cool your home sensibly. This means doing things like shutting doors to rooms that you don’t need to heat or cool, and using curtains to seal heat in or keep heat out depending on the season. Also, remember to set your heater or cooler to a reasonable temperature. For example, dropping the heater temperature by one degree can save you ten per cent on your heating bill and you’ll be just as comfortable if you wear an extra layer.
- Another simple saver – use cold water to wash your clothes and don’t use the clothes dryer unless you absolutely need to. You could easily save a couple of hundred dollars a year by implementing this strategy.
- Lighting can be one of the biggest electricity wasters in your home and unless you live in a newer home, chances are your lighting isn’t as efficient as it could be. As well as switching off lights you don’t need, gradually replace inefficient lighting with energy efficient. Start with lights that you have on for lengthy periods of time or you turn on regularly, as they’ll give you quickest return on investment. You should also consider motion sensor lighting outside, to reduce energy bills while increasing security.
- Like your lighting, chances are some of your appliances aren’t particularly energy-efficient. We’re not encouraging you to throw out a perfectly good working appliance, but when you do need to replace an appliance, consider energy consumption. Comparison labels with star ratings makes this very easy.
- The average return on investment for installing solar power in your Adelaide home is only around four years. This period may vary for you, depending on a range of factors, but what this demonstrates is that solar power is a viable option for many homeowners.
- There’s a way to slash your electricity costs without modifying your behaviour in the slightest, and that’s to switch to a better electricity deal. There’s even a government website that can help you save on energy bills in Adelaide and across the country. The Australian Energy Market Commission estimated in 2019 that some Australians could save up to $760 a year by switching to a cheaper plan.
It’s worth highlighting that all these tips (apart from the last) will not only help you save money, but will also reduce your carbon footprint and help the planet.
AUE can help you save on energy bills in Adelaide
If you are looking to slash your energy bills, Adelaide Urban Electrical can help. Here are just some of the ways we can help you reduce electricity usage:
- We can undertake a full home energy assessment to determine your energy usage and identify wastage and inefficiencies.
- This will include a detailed examination of what is probably your two biggest energy users, your heating and cooling systems.
- We can design a more energy-efficient lighting system, including LED lights and sensor lights for outdoors.
- We can install a solar power system on your Adelaide home. We can also provide advice on the best solar system for your home and how to take advantage of any rebates that may apply.