Security lighting in and around your Adelaide home can play a vital role in the security of your property. So in this post, we have included Adelaide Urban Electrical’s ultimate guide to security lighting. We’ll also provide some general tips on ways to beef up your home security.
Why home security is important
Your Adelaide house is your castle and you want to feel comfortable and safe when you are at home. Just as importantly, you want to be able to leave home feeling relaxed that your house won’t be a target for thieves or vandals.
This is where security lighting and other security measures can help. While you can never guarantee that a burglar won’t target your home, there are many things you do to make your house less attractive, or thwart them if they do.
Top tips for security lighting
- Motion sensor lighting is undoubtedly the most popular choice for security lighting you can have around your Adelaide home. These lights – which turn on when any motion is detected – are not only handy for you on dark nights, they can help deter would-be thieves. They’re better for security than lights that are left on and also better on your hip-pocket.
- There are several options you can choose from in motion sensor lighting, including the lighting pattern. While a softly-dispersed light may be okay to light a path at night, for security purposes a floodlight or spotlight is a better option.
- With most sensor lights you can adjust the time that they remain on and also the sensitivity. This is particularly important if you have pets that are likely to set-off overly sensitive lighting.
- Another potential way to use lighting to improve security around your Adelaide home is to have a floodlight or spotlight come on at regular intervals. This can be as simple and economic as a waterproof timer connected to a plugin light, although most homeowners will want a mains-connected option. The main downfall with these lighting systems is that thieves can learn the timed schedule, so remember to change the timings regularly.
- If you’re concerned about security for when you are away, automating your lighting or controlling it from anywhere is well worth considering. A simple idea could be to install one or more smart lamps around your home, or standard lamps connected to smart plugs. These lamps can then be turned on and off using a smartphone from anywhere you can get an Internet or mobile connection.
- Security lighting isn’t going to be effective if your bulbs regularly need replacing. So, when you’re choosing security lighting go for long-lasting options such as LED.
- Security lighting on your front door and back door may be a good start, but don’t forget other areas of your home that can be just as attractive to thieves and burglars. Places like easy to access windows, garage doors and the laundry door.
- Garden and perimeter lighting can also play an important role in your security lighting plan. There are lights that you can place directly in the garden, attach to fences and walls, install in decking and more. Solar lighting is a great choice to keep installation and running costs down. Also consider purchasing systems that you can automate.
Other tips for improved home security
- Cameras can be a great investment if you’re concerned about your security and the security of your home. There are so many different options these days, including systems that alert you when they detect movement, so you can check what’s happening on your smart device.
- Install security screens on your doors and windows. These have the added advantage that you can open doors and windows on nice days, while still having the peace of mind that your home is secure.
- Also consider installing a home alarm system. Again, there are a lot of options on the market so do your research before deciding on the best one for you.
- It might seem like commonsense, but always put away ladders, stools and tools that could help a burglar get into your home.
- If you’re in the habit of keeping spare keys under a garden pot or the front door mat, just in case you lock yourself out, stop it! Invest in a lock box that you can securely attach to your home, a fence or similar in an inconspicuous spot.
- Many of us like to share our holiday activities on social media. But if your information is public you could be sharing the fact that your home is unoccupied with anyone. Make sure your information is private or, better still, wait until you get home to share the best images.
Adelaide Urban Electrical can help with security lighting
Adelaide Urban Electric can help you make your home more secure, with a range of security lighting and home automation services. This includes the installation of motion sensor lights, outdoor lighting and more.